How to make sweet chestnut cream or chestnut puree
Chestnut cream was one of my grandmother's favorite desserts. I've always associated a lot with French cuisine, but luckily, you do not have to go there to get it. The recipe for chestnut cream is very easy to prepare, wherever you are.
By the way, as I think it will be clear, this recipe is to prepare a dessert, that is, a sweet chestnut cream or chestnut puree. Do not get confused and think that it is a creamy chestnut soup.
Easy chestnut cream preparation
In countries with marked seasons, recipes with chestnuts are usually They begin to prepare with the arrival of autumn.
In the case of chestnut cream, it often replaces jams for breakfast, serves as a dessert, or is used as a base for other preparations, like sauces, which preserve a sweet base.
This cream is particularly good when served with yogurt or when used to fill or cover cakes.
Chestnut cream recipe easy
Tips for preparing chestnut cream or puree
- If you can get a vanilla pod, the result of the recipe will be much better than with the extract of this ingredient. To use the pod, open it and add its content to the preparation. Of course, you will no longer have to use vanilla extract or essence.
- It is possible to buy the cooked chestnuts, under vacuum, which can save you some time in preparation.Then, you can return the cream to your pot.
- You have to wait for the chestnut cream to cool, before refrigerating it. Do not pass it to the refrigerator if it is still hot, because this recipe contains milk and drastic changes in temperature can affect the quality of the result.
- Optionally, if you like the taste of cinnamon, you can incorporate a branch to the milk at the time of cooking. Remove it when serving the cream.
- If you do not have a good kitchen robot at home or a powerful blender, you can crush the chestnuts manually, using a masher.
- Take into account that the chestnuts should be free of their two covers: the outer skin and the inner skin.
- There are those who incorporate other fruits into the preparation of this dessert, such as apples or quince. I prefer to keep only the taste of the chestnut.
- There are also those who add a pinch of salt to the preparation, to balance the taste.
- Keep in mind that you can also prepare a cream of vegan chestnuts, using water instead of milk. This style of preparation will also have fewer calories.